I have worked on many clients over the years who come in complaining of pain. One of the first questions I ask them after we go through the health history is how often do you stretch? Many of the responses are "not as much as I should", or "never".
When we think of our muscles we have to think of them as rubber bands. When we use our muscles the individual muscle fibers squeeze together causing tension, trigger points and lactic acid. Stretching on a regular basis will help lengthen the muscle fibers releasing the tension and ensuring we have proper flexibility.
Because of the great impact stretching has on our muscles I incorporate a great deal of passive stretching in to my treatments. By doing the stretching for you it allows you to stay relaxed thereby getting a much deeper stretch and lasting benefits from the massage.
I recommend stretching at least once per day and preferably after a work out when the muscles are warm. If a muscle is stretched when "cold" there is greater chance of injuring the muscle. Stretch each muscle two times and hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Remember to inhale before the stretch and exhale through the stretch, this will ensure you are getting the deepest stretch possible.
Always know stretching should never be painful so if you are feeling pain, back off a little bit to the point where you are feeling tension. If you are interested in a session to work on your flexibility contact me at kara@karaspromassage.com to schedule your appointment.
No comments:
Post a Comment